friend of Dorothy"

Tue Mar 22 20:07:27 UTC 2011

The OED has this phrase. I did not see it in the HDAS listed under
Dorothy or friend. The first OED citation given in 1972 does not
contain the phrase.

Dorothy, n.
a friend of Dorothy (slang), a homosexual man. Also in similar allusive uses.

1972  B. Rodgers Queens' Vernacular 66   Dorothy and Toto,‥any male
couple whose effeminate partner is in command. ‘When's Dorothy and
Toto getting here with the chest of drawers?’

1984  B. McConville & J. Shearlaw Slanguage of Sex (1985) 82/1
Dorothy's friends, the male gay community, from the 50s onwards.

The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional
English (Google Books preview)
friend of Dorothy noun a homosexual. Thought to be from the Judy
Garland character in The Wizard of Oz; Garland is a gay icon
AUSTRALIA, 1988

Cassell's Dictionary of Slang by Jonathon Green (Google Books preview)
Friend of Oscar n. [1920s+] a male homosexual (df. ABIGAIL n.) (the
gay icon, playwright Oscar Wilde (1854-1901)]

Cassell's has an entry for "Dorothy's friend" but display is blocked
in Google Books.

One book claims that the construction of the term "Friend of Dorothy"
was influenced by the term "Friend of Bill" used by Alcoholics
Anonymous (founded in 1935), but if Cassell's is correct then perhaps
"Friend of Oscar" influenced both "Friend of Bill" and "Friend of
Dorothy".