"Complicate" = "elucidate the complexity of"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 23 05:08:10 UTC 2011

You, guys, must have missed the research notice from a couple of months
ago that claimed that conservatives tend to see things in much more
simple terms than liberals. To put it simply, they avoid complications.
So, my guess is, this was attempt at light humor at the expense of
"modern republicans" who tend to have a very simplistic, one-dimensional
view of the "Founding Fathers" (and of the French Revolution). As such,
the reading would have been literal--making things more complicated.

     VS-)