"death and violence" quote

Wed Mar 23 13:37:26 UTC 2011

The book "Bush at War" by Bob Woodward can be examined via
Amazon-Look-Inside. The page images indicate that the Amazon
searchable text is from the Simon & Schuster, copyright 2002 edition.
Amazon says the book displayed is the hardcover released in 2002.
There is also a copy of the work in the Google Books database that is
in preview mode.

Searching for "export death" with Amazon-Look-Inside yields only one
match in the text. It occurs in the Epilogue at the very end of the
book.

Begin excerpt

ON FEBRUARY 5, 2002, about 25 men representing three different Special
Forces units and three CIA paramilitary teams gathered outside Gardez,
Afghanistan, in the east, about 40 miles from the Pakistani border. It
was very cold, and they were bundled in camping or outdoor clothing.
No one was in uniform. Many had beards. The men stood or kneeled on
this desolate site in front of a helicopter. An American flag was
standing in the background. There was a pile of rocks arranged as a
tombstone over a buried piece of the demolished World Trade Center.
Someone snapped a picture of them.

One of the men read a prayer. Then he said, "We consecrate this spot
as an everlasting memorial to the brave Americans who died on
September 11, so that all who would seek to do her harm will know that
America will not stand by and watch terror prevail.

"We will export death and violence to the four corners of the earth in
defense of our great nation."

End excerpt

Woodward does not identify the speaker. He also does not say how he
learned about this event. Presumably he was not present. Who told him
what was said? The speaker may be in a Special Forces unit or may be
in the CIA. But Woodward does not directly say that every person
present was in a Special Forces unit or the CIA. Most readers are led
to this assumption I suspect.

Woodward does give a precise date. So the itinerary of candidates for
attribution can be examined on that date. Also, someone could ask
Woodward what he thinks about the widespread attribution of the quote
to Bush.