"Complicate" = "elucidate the complexity of"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 23 16:48:17 UTC 2011

I didn't know there were conservatives and
liberals among the modern historians of the 18th
and 19th centuries.  (Yes I did, but that's
another story.)  Or "light humorists."

Victor, this "complicate" came from an invitation
to a Newberry Library Eighteenth-Century Seminar,
the abstract for which follows my signature.  I
doubt that the presentation is aimed at "modern
republicans" (even though it will "bear on" the French Revolution).

But for a book that *is* aimed at -- well, she
calls them "historical fundamentalists", see Jill
Lepore's _The Whites of their Eyes: The Tea
Party's Revolution and the Battle over American
History_ (Princeton Univ. Press, 2010), esp. p. 16.

Joel