Pachangas

crawford neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Wed Mar 23 20:41:36 UTC 2011

Some adumbration here, please:

"Diva Bette Midler roiled male fantasies of large breasts in her show Mud
Will Be Flung Tonight: "Tits, bazooms, medicine balls, pachangas, my world ‹
welcome to it! ... I don't have to be well-informed, just well endowed."
~ Joseph Boskin, 'Rebellious Laughter: People's Humor in American Culture',
Syracuse University Press, 1997, 172

I take it that this is Mexican/Spanish, possibly derived from a primary
meaning (and equivalent to the sexual objectification of females as
'barbecue'):

" In addition to bars, men may drink at pachangas or all-male picnics where
meat and beer (sometimes accompanied by stronger distilled beverages) are
served ²
~ Sana Loue [ed], ' Handbook of Immigrant Health', Plenum Press, 1998, 503

It brings to mind the UK (? and US) use of 'dairies', where the source of
infant food is sexualized by the male:

ŒPiton and Dimanet, two ragged street urchins nose in air, arms dangling
carelessly and walking clumsily, eye with envious emotion the immaculate
white bibs of the babies and also the appetising bosomly dairies of the
luscious wet-nurses, telling each other that they would pretty well like to
take a crack at baby¹s daily rations themselves.¹ ­Jem, Wide Open, 1935
(Grove Press, NY, c1970)

So, just how do 'pachangas' equate to breasts?