"icon" and "iconic"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 24 12:58:51 UTC 2011

It used to be that to see an icon you'd have to open an art book. Now you
turn on the 'puter and they're everywhere. Icons are in the planetary
consciousness.

"Iconic" is punchy, understandable, and easy to remember. It naturally tends
to displace longer, less hip phrases like "instantly recognizable,"
"celebrated," "universally familiar," "famous," "typical," etc.  Same for
"icon."

I'm tired of hearing them too, but the world won't listen to me!  Bad world!

JL

.On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Jocelyn Limpert <jocelyn.limpert at gmail.com