OED's "rum" -- perhaps 1651?; and its misattributions to "Franklin's" Drinkers Dictionary

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 24 18:43:11 UTC 2011

NOT an antedating, but another GB lesson.

There is no such thing as "quick search" for "rum" in GB, as even the
earliest limiting dates offer thousands of hits--most misreadings of
Latin texts. But one jumps out

http://goo.gl/t2G6d

The tag claims 1586 and, in fact, so does the front page. But the type
is all wrong--it is simply too clean, the long-s is standardized and
shorter than it would have been that yearly. In fact, by the looks of
it, I would place the text in the mid-18th century or later (but before
1812). An enterprising reviewer left a note suggesting that he found
references to King George--yet another reason to doubt the authenticity
of the date. Poking around a bit more, I spotted on page 39 a line that
contains "this year, 1786". I have no doubt that this is indeed the
correct publication date.

GB does a poor enough job tagging dates of many documents not to have a
mere typo tossing another monkey wrench into the works. But this is
exactly what appears to have happened here. The date on the title page
is simply missing a pair of "C"s. I found several volumes in the past
with similar typos. In some instances, the missing "letter" is X or V.
This is the first to be off by 200 years.

As an afterthought, I checked the WorldCat, which indeed has the correct
date (as well as reproducing the wrong one).

     VS-)