LOL (1989)

Thu Mar 24 22:09:43 UTC 2011

Ben, Great work. Google Books has a match with a snippet that displays
"LOL Laughing Out Loud" in OCLC micro, Volumes 5-6. Those volumes
appeared in 1989 and 1990. So this match may be before or after the
FidoNews newsletter dated May 8, 1989. I suspect it is not easy to
obtain this periodical. Has this cite been checked already by you? or
OED?

http://books.google.com/books?id=b9bgAAAAMAAJ&q=LOL#search_anchor