tinfoil hat (UNCLASSIFIED)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Mar 25 23:16:26 UTC 2011

        I agree, Jon, and I think we're in a pretty solid position to
come to some conclusions.

        "Tinfoil hat" clearly was first brought to a broader audience by
the 1983 movie Lovesick, as shown by the reference in the 2/19/1983
Miami Herald movie review quoted by Bill Mullins and which I had
previously contributed,
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0602A&L=ADS-L&P=R358.
There are virtually no references to lunatic tinfoil hats prior to 1983,
although the 1982 example proves that Lovesick did not originate the
concept.

        My earlier post also had this quote from the 11/10/1986 issue of
People (via Westlaw):  "On July 4, 1979, Linda Kozlowski, ''dressed up
like a Martian with a tinfoil cone on my head,'' was hawking ''Skylab
protective helmets'' to crowds watching fireworks from Manhattan's West
Side Highway. At $5 a pop, she sold out her entire supply of the
whimsical cardboard headgear.  None too soon, either. Seven days later
Skylab -- the space station that had begun losing altitude after six
years in orbit -- finally fell to earth. Perhaps Kozlowski has a shrewd
eye for novelties."  The 1979 dating on this recollection seems pretty
solid, although it's not clear that Kozlowski necessarily intended her
tinfoil cone to be of the lunatic variety.

John Baker