a "thats" possessive on the national news

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Mar 26 14:47:21 UTC 2011

At 3/26/2011 09:14 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Amazing all around.
>
>If it's been as common for many decades as alleged, the failure of the OED
>and others to notice it should give us all pause.
>
>Shouldn't there be plenty of printed evidence in fiction?  If not, why not?
>
>My impression is that constructions involving "inanimate obj. + poss." are
>relatively uncommon in speech and writing to begin with. That would
>encourage the astonishing muddle I found in graduate student attempts to use
>the relevant "whose" properly  25 years ago.
>
>Many had trouble filling in the blank in the "giveaway" ex.:
>
>"It's an idea _____ time has come."
>
>As I may have said once before, it's time for someone to repeat the
>experiment. (If they have, what were the results?)

My experiment -- Google "an idea that's time has come"
(quoted):  "About 15,000 results (0.23 seconds)".

Perhaps an idea worth the time it took.  And repeated, it took 0.06 seconds.

P.S. "An idea whose time has come" (quoted): "About 974,000 results
(0.21 seconds)".

Joel