www.whatwouldthefoundersthink.com

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Mar 26 21:55:28 UTC 2011

At 3/26/2011 04:09 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I don't care want party they represent.

But I do -- I'd like to know what color a book review on their site is tinted.

>Like they know what the Founders would think.
>
>And like they'd all think the same thing. They sure didn't then.
>
>And like what they might think time-warped here directly from 1789 would be
>the same as what they might think if they'd lived through the intervening
>200+ years.

No doubt.  (Points made by Jill Lepore, by the way.)  Which is why I
wondered whether the site is a Tea Party fellow-traveler.  (There
must be some who Know What the Founding Fathers Believed who are the
real fellow-travelers.)

Wilson wrote:
>Well, I don't know that I can co-sign that assertion, Jon. After all,
>far more people appear to know what Jesus would do and, considering
>that whether He [thank you, Jesuit Fathers!] even existed is only a
>matter of faith ...

Lepore calls those who assert a known, fixed, divinely-inspired,
sacred-text belief by and about the Founding Fathers "historical
fundamentalists", and compares them to (surprise) religious fundamentalists.

>There's no deficit of full-time idiots in this country, of that you may be
>sure.
>
>I'm only part-time myself.

As am I.
JB (I've switched from Superman's father to Archibald Macleish's
title character)