"like pickles and ice cream"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 27 21:08:09 UTC 2011

Garson's finds are a valuable background to this story. Still, "memic"
"pickles and ice cream" doesn't appear till the '50s. After that,
increasingly, the phrase appears to be just one of those automatic
connections that the average person assumes to be timeless.

Like so many other linguistic phenomena, there seems to be no rational
explanation for this fact.

I won't quibble with Victor's distinction between "proverbial" and
"paradoxical," but I think that the "paradoxical" must be well on its way to
becoming proverbial as well.

JL