Still More on Antedating of "Hispanic"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 28 00:10:14 UTC 2011

This citation is particularly edgy or touchy because New Mexico is the
epicenter of the internal disputes as to who qualifies as Hispanic or
Latino. Many "mixed ethnicity" groups often state that families that
are direct "unmixed" descendants of Spanish immigrants do not qualify
under one or both categories. Most of the dispute is in New Mexico,
although there are some families in other Southwestern states. This is
made even more complicated by the fact that many of these families
originally descended from the Marranos, so are actually Semitic not
Hispanic. ;-) I wonder what Winnie had to say on the subject.

VS-)