Q; pronouncing "Fukushima"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 28 22:34:28 UTC 2011

http://joeclark.org/dossiers/Fukushima.mp3

Says ~Fuekkueshimu         not ~Fuekuessheemu
       foo-KOO-shim-uh        not foo-koo-SHEE-muh (where "oo" is long oo)

The problem with eye-dialect "oo" is whether it is long or short.  Most "oo"s in text are short (as in "wood").  But how do you show that in a simple phonetic spelling.  That's one reason why truespel is needed as a standard eye-dialect type spelling.  The area of short oo is a mental mess.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, then Tenn 3, NJ 33, now FL 9.
The FREE English-based phonetic converters, URL and text , are at truespel.com