Q; pronouncing "Fukushima"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 28 23:22:28 UTC 2011

Ah -- "fuku" loses its second U, just as "Matsushita" its I
(Matsushta)?  And probably why some hear a stress on the first
syllable (fook).  And probably why the word two of the three times on
this recording escaped my (aging) ears entirely -- it went by too
fast spoken by a fast speaker.

But I understand pronouncing the I (and correspondingly the U) is
acceptable also?

(And I did say "slight" accent on the MAH.  I was once told that
Japanese is virtually accentless.)

Joel