"Rough men stand ready . . ." (UNCLASSIFIED)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 29 22:20:19 UTC 2011

Garson's message ended abruptly, so I am not sure where he was going
with this. Still, it's worth taking a quick look at Wiki List of
Misquotations (if you want to see it formatted properly, go to
Wikipedia):

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Alternative: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready
to visit violence on those who would harm us."
In his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell claimed that the statement,
"Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are
committing violence on their behalf" was a "grossly obvious" fact.
"Notes on Nationalism"
Notes: allegedly said by George Orwell although there is no evidence
that Orwell ever wrote or uttered either of these versions of this
idea. They do bear some similarity to comments made in an essay that
Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, when quoting from one of his poems.
Orwell did write, in his essay on Kipling, that the latter's "grasp of
function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that
men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less
civilized, are there to guard and feed them." (1942)
"Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" -
Rudyard Kipling (Tommy)
"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a
man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I
provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Aaron
Sorkin (A Few Good Men)
Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand
ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -
Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

VS-)