"Commode"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Mar 29 23:30:10 UTC 2011

<<
My parents had a "commode" which was a small chest of drawers==pr rather, it
had one drawer.  It wasn't a toilet.

Paul Johnston

I had one of each.  The furniture item, inherited from my mother, was a
curved chest, about four foot high, with a full door enclosing three
shelves, not a set of drawers.   (My daughter inherited, or took possession,
of this, completely filled with upmarket china.)

The other item, a brown wooden box resembling a two-foot cube with small
doors on the front, I bought for a couple of pounds in a junk shop, as it
intrigued me.  It was only later, to my delight, that I realised it was a
pukka commode and had once enclosed a chamber pot.  (I still have it, and
use it for storing stationary.)

For what this is worth ...

Robin