the new limits of "novel" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Mar 30 16:33:28 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> -
>
> At 3/29/2011 09:06 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
> >Here are two examples of the word novel applied to a play from a few
> >years ago.
> >
> >In the novel Hamlet who was the character name Yorick?
> >5 years ago
> >http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060907195907AAiExxb
>
> I assume this question is about the novel "Hamlet: A Novel", by
> (according to WorldCat) John Marsden; William Shakespeare
> (Somerville, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 2009).
>
> Or perhaps "Hamlet : novel" by by Paul Illidge; William Shakespeare
> (Toronto : Creber Monde, 2005).
>
> But not "The Hamlet: a Novel"by Faulkner.
>

> >What is the theme of the novel "merchant of venice"? by shakespeare..
> >2 years ago
> >http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090121111149AAcmiEe
>
> And here the questioner merely left out one, minor word:  "The
> merchant of Venice : a graphic novel" (London : Walker, 2008).

I think Lighter's Law applies here (see how useful it is?):  "It's
easier to assume that somebody at [Yahoo Answers] just didn't know what
he was talking about."

Or try:  "Never attribute to [desire to expand the horizons of the
English Language] that which can be explained by stupidity."