Origins of 'sick' meaning noteworthy, admirable, exceptional, etc.

Thu Mar 31 02:24:22 UTC 2011

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for "sick" (with this
relatively recent sense) in the online "Draft additions of August
2004". Here is the definition and first two citations:

slang (now esp. Skateboarding and Surfing). Excellent, impressive; risky.

1983    UNC-CH Campus Slang (Univ. N. Carolina, Chapel Hill)
(typescript) Spring 5   Sick, unbelievably good: The Fleetwood Mac
concert was sick.

1992    Caribbean Week Apr. 26/1   ‘A really sick car’ is an
attractive, eye-catching vehicle and not one that's ready for the
repair shop.

Garson