Ukelele: depalatization and palatization - accommodation?

Thu Mar 31 05:55:49 UTC 2011

The /u/ vs. /e/ distinction is not something I was aware of. It seems I have both the standard and the UK versions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukelele) in my head. Please disregard that part of the word in my post!

BTW, I am curious what happens to the shortened version: uke. My assumption is that it's always palatalized.

BB