"Ching-chong"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 31 18:35:32 UTC 2011

At 1:52 PM -0400 3/31/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Wasn't his name "Ching Chow"?
>
>His observations were skeptical and ironic.

not to be confused with the beer of (almost) the same name.  I've
only ever heard "Ching Chong" in that [/___ Chinaman] context Wilson
mentions below, not as a specific cartoon philosopher. In fact, while
wikipedia tries to remind me of a quatrain that goes (or rather went)

Ching Chong, Chinaman,
Sitting on a wall.
Along came a white man,
And chopped his tail off.

I only remember the first two lines.  I guess we were just
half-racist, or half-assed racists, in those days.
Besides which, this is the sort of rhyme one expect to rhyme.

LH