Rum, sodomy, lash; rum, bum, baccer and other expressions

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 1 15:50:24 UTC 2011

At 10:04 AM -0400 5/1/11, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>Naval tradition? Monstrous. Nothing but rum, sodomy, prayers, and the lash.
>
>These words are attributed second-hand to Winston Churchill in a diary
>entry dated 1950 as noted in the YBQ. When I looked into this quote a
>year ago I tried to find similar expression or precursors. There is an
>entry in "A Dictionary of Catch Phrases" edited by Eric Partridge and
>Paul Beale for another saying:
>
>beer, bum and bacca (tobacco).

At least this one is alliterative.  "Rum, sodomy, prayers, and the
lash", even if it might prove an attractive lure for some (although
perhaps not many--and "or" in place of "and" might have been more
appealing), not only fails to alliterate but contains 4 rather than 3
elements, and the latter has a better track record in catch
phraseology.  But the "rum" appearing in first place, above and
below, does recall other triads.  In "rum, bum and bacca", I hear a
foreshadowing of Eliot's curious cat "Rum-tum-tugger", although
perhaps there's no relation.  And then there is the elegantly
alliterative "Rum, Romanism, and rebellion", the memorable political
slogan impugning Grover Cleveland and the Democrats so effectively
that it obviously clinched the presidency for James G. Blaine ("the
continental liar from the state of Maine").

LH