Heard on The judges: "Ripping and running"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 1 19:32:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Great finds, Wilson!

Are you a-funning with me, Garson?

> Rippin' and Runnin' - Tiny Bradshaw & Ork (Lay It) King 4547
> http://books.google.com/books?id=AR4EAAAAMBAJ&q=rippin#v=snippet&

This is embarrassing! I was under the impression that I had Myron
"Tiny" Bradshaw's complete oeuvre in my iTunes. And it's plumb weird,
given that my favorite Bradshaw tune, Soft, was also released in 1952.
OTOH, his postumously-famous Train Kept A-Rollin' was likewise
released in 1952, but I first heard ca. 1973 on an oldies show. Well,
it was a B side. But, as always,

Youneverknow.

> Cite: 1958, Let No Man Write My Epitaph by Willard Motley, GB Page
> 155, Random House, New York. (Google Books snippet; Not verified on
> paper; Data may be inaccurate; Duke catalog concurs with date of
> publication)

One of those books that everybody has heard of, but nobody has read
it. Well, *I* haven't read it, at least. IAC, in the context of the
book, _ripping and running_ probably would have escaped my notice.

> ripping and running on the job

This seems to me to be slightly different, semantically, i.e. more
like "busting your ass on the job," as opposed to being an overactive
child, scuffling to find that next hit, or hitting the clubs seven
nights a week. But, inasmuch as my entire experience with this string
in the wild consists essentially of only my grandmother's parentspeak,

Youneverknow.

IAC, FWIW,"... on the job" strikes *me* as a "great find"!

Locally, the movie, Waking Up In Reno, featuring Billy Bob Thornton
and Patrick Swayze using more-or-less their native Arkansas and
East-Texas, respectively, accents, is currently on the tube.

Speaking of the name _Swayze_, I went to grade school with one Raymond
_Swyza_, pronounced "Swayze" by us children, but as [swajz@] by the
teachers. Since Sways occurs in Google as the *first* name of a
*white* person *also* from Saint Louis - _Swyza_ Lee Holmes..., well,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----