speed humps

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 2 16:26:21 UTC 2011

At 5/2/2011 04:15 AM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>In the UK, the official term for a wide traffic calming bump is "speed
>table". Traffic engineeers sometimes put a pedestrian crossing on one.

I suppose in the olden days, the "humps" were called "bunches", as on camels.

In the Boston area, I have encountered all three -- narrow (2 or 3
feet), wider, and very wide (as wide as the crossing street).  And in
one town, Belmont, a true Bactrian -- a hump, a depression, and another hump.

I'll have to examine the signing on all three types more carefully,
and dare to report.


The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list