rumble strip

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 2 22:24:21 UTC 2011

I am not sure I understand how this question differs from Jonathan's:

And what do you call that security device that shreds your tires if you try
driving over it without push-button authorization?

The ones that shred your tires in only one direction are called
one-way, ie, one-way spike system, one-way treadle, one-way shredderr.


On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at> wrote:
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: rumble strip
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at> wrote:
>> Traffic spikes.
> What about the ones that keep you from backing out of a parking
> lot/parking structure?
> --
> -Wilson
> -----
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint
> to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> -Mark Twain
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society -

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list