"Don't just do something...."

Mon May 2 23:38:31 UTC 2011

I just watched part of the 1951 Disney animated version of Alice in
Wonderland and it contains the quotation. There is a script available
at the following link, but it is not accurate. The line is wrongly
transcribed as "Don’t just do something standing":
http://www.scifiscripts.com/cartoon/AliceScript.htm

Here is the corrected version according to my ears. (Typos and other
errors are possible.) After the scene with the walrus and the
carpenter Alice encounters the white rabbit and during the interaction
the rabbit delivers the target line:

Alice: Excuse me sir, but- but I’ve been trying to...
White Rabbit: Why, Mary Ann! What are you doing out here?
Alice: Mary Ann?
White Rabbit: Don’t just do something; stand there. ... No no! Go go!
Go get my gloves! I’m late!

The scene and the line are mentioned in an article titled "Greatest
Film Scenes and Moments" at the website filmsite.org.
http://www.filmsite.org/scenes1.html

Here is a close match in 1878 to an instance of the cliche that is
being humorously contorted:

Cite 1878, Aunt Betsy's Foresight by Mrs. Warren Creed, Page 8,
Remington and Co., London. (Google Books full view)

"Don't stand there, Jane, do something."

http://books.google.com/books?id=J-IBAAAAQAAJ&q=%22stand+there%22#v=snippet&

Garson

Jonathan Lighter wrote