Doctor Livingstone, I presume

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 2 23:48:10 UTC 2011

Thank you. This is one of apparently several stories that appeared in the
Herald during the month. Barry Popik cited a similar story on July 11. But
there remains some question as to what, if anything, might have appeared
before the NYT printing of excerpts on July 2.

Incidentally, there are several variations in the versions of the story
retold between 1872 and 1915 (after that, the accounts are pretty much
completely recycled). There are two versions of the story--one with Stanley
and his group coming up on Livingstone almost directly vs. encountering his
servants and associates in the village first, then finding Livingstone
himself. Some details may appear or disappear, such as gestures on the part
of either man with respect to the hat/cap/helmet. But few mention any "Arab
dignitaries", as it is told here.

VS-)