special operators

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 3 13:22:12 UTC 2011

I believe I first noticed "special operators" used in the early days of the
Afghanistan invasion
, but certainly no later than the invasion of Iraq.

It sounded strange to me too. However, the rationale may be that "special
forces" (the older term) suggests Army Special Forces ("Green Berets")
exclusively. The new term is also vague enough to add extra secrecy and
mystery to the proceedings: maybe Delta Force or the CIA was involved, or
some organization nobody's ever heard of before and never will.

"Special operations," of course, has been around for a long time.

I'm sure there's some tendentious objection to the word "commandos," which
was good enough for the Greatest Generation; that's why I just used it on
another thread.

JL