cabbage together

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 4 16:18:27 UTC 2011

"Cabbage together" is not in the OED, but ought to be.

I agree on the meaning, but have only one thought
about the origin.  Perhaps from "cabbage, v.2." --
     "c. Schoolboy slang. = To crib,
cab."  Dating from 1837.  (Arising from "a. orig.
said of a tailor appropriating part of the cloth
given to him to make up into garments.")

Pieces are "stolen" from various places to cobble
(v.1) something together?  (But, unlike Arnold, I
don't suggest it's an eggcorn.)

Joel

At 5/4/2011 10:59 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
>A request from one of my sister's colleagues:
>
>>On [one of our] teleconference ... a speaker said
>>that he had “cabbaged together” some information

 can you or your