The pointless flash-mob

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 4 16:53:51 UTC 2011

I've always wondered if there's a connection between "flash mob" and "flash
crowd" -- the latter occurring when a website suddenly gets a very large
increase in traffic (due to, e.g., being slashdotted). Both refer to a number of
people (one actual, one virtual) suddenly appearing somewhere (actual or
vitual). The term "flash crowd" has been around since at least the mid-90s, and
takes its name from a Larry Niven story of the same name (in which crowds of
people suddenly appear via teleportation). But I have no actual evidence of an
etymological connection between flash mobs and flash crowds.

Jeff