(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 5 18:54:29 UTC 2011

If you are driving in an unfamiliar part of Boston area, including suburbs,
one is usually not enough. Every street crossing or a Y-split is a possible
change of name--and sometimes you may cross a town boundary without crossing
another street and that almost guarantees a change in name. There are parts
of Madison, WI, where streets coming up from one side of a particular main
street have different names from the streets coming up from the other side,
although I can't recall the specific part of the city where this occurs.
Luckily, Madison labels more streets than Boston.

VS-)