Quote: It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts. (Kin Hubbard 1921 July 21)

Sun May 8 03:12:50 UTC 2011

The quote in the subject line of this post appeared in a syndicated
newspaper column called "Office Cat” by Junius in 1922 as discovered
by Barry Popik.

Below is a 1921 cite to a syndicated feature called "Abe Martin Says".
Abe Martin was a character created by the humorist Kin Hubbard. It is
unclear if "Junius", Kin Hubbard or someone else crafted this saying.

Cite: 1921 July 21, Spartanburg Herald (Herald-Journal), Abe Martin
Says, Page 5, Spartanburg, South Carolina. (Google News Archive)

It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts. It seems
like th' less a feler earns the more determined his wife is t' wear
white.

Ralph Keyes in the Quote Verifier credits Kin Hubbard. Keyes cites the
following tomes: Life and Times of Kin Hubbard, Creator of Abe Martin
(New York: Farrar, Straus and Young, 1952), The Best of Kin Hubbard:
Abe Martin's Sayings and Wisecracks (Bloomington: Indiana University,
1984) plus Rogers on Hubbard: NYT, December 27, 1930. I have not had a
chance to examine these references.

Here is a link to Barry's valuable work:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/its_what_you_learn_after_you_know_it_all_that_counts/