no more pets

Tue May 10 12:56:44 UTC 2011

David Barnhart wrote
> I just saw a little story on CNN about the political incorrectness of the
> term _pet_ meaning an animal kept as a companion.

There is a short video segment available at the CNN website that might
contain the material that David Barnhart viewed. Below is a link:

Is the word 'pet' politically incorrect?
Added On May 10, 2011
Some animal rights activists want to replace the term "pet" with
"animal companion." CBC's Colleen Jones reports.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/09/dnt.pet.politically.incorrect.CBC
Shortened link
http://goo.gl/RkwUS

The report refers to the Journal of Animal Ethics as the source of the
following suggestions: Replace "pet" with "animal companion." Call a
raccoon dining from the garbage can of a house a "free living animal"
and not a "pest." Replace "wildlife" with "free range" or "free
living."

Garson