note on "bastard"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 10 19:10:44 UTC 2011

You may be right, but since women were expected to be paragons of all
virtues (if they weren't harlots, of course) the idea that one might
secretly be tainted by some inherited stain - which could be passed on, of
course - might have been pretty scary.

I suppose motives differed.

JL