paranoid

Mon May 16 17:30:38 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>I thought this one canonically went "...I'm schizophrenic, and so am
> I."
>
> That is precisely the wording I heard in the spring or summer of 1967 or
> '68. I remember it distinctly because at the time I thought it was about the
> funniest thing I'd ever heard.

Apparently there are instances of two less clever variants in the 1950s:

Cite: 1957.Athenian Adventure: with Alarums & Excursions by Clarence
Pendleton Lee, GB Page 91, Knopf, New York. (Google Books snippet; Not
verified on paper; Data may be wrong)

Would you care to hear my verses?" They were entitled, I recall, A
Psychopath's Garden of Verses, but my memory retains only one:
  Roses are red, violets are blue.
  I'm a schizophrenic. What are you?

http://books.google.com/books?id=X8BGAAAAMAAJ&q=violets#search_anchor

Cite: 1958 February 28 (Date visible on page scan), U.S.A.: Volumes
5-6, GB Page unspecified, U.S.A. Pub. Co. (Google Books snippet; Not
verified on paper; Data may be wrong)

Wags at the United Nations recently wrote a jingle to be sent as a
Valentine greeting to the three-man investigating committee in the
Povl Bang-Jensen affair:

  NEU-roses are red;
  Melancholia's blue
  I'm schizophrenic -