nail that Jell-O

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon May 23 20:30:06 UTC 2011

Talk of nailing jelly to the wall must have caused hilarity in the
African-American community, where "jelly" and "jelly roll" could mean
female genitalia. The reaction was no doubt that those white folk
don't know what they're saying.

In this regard, note the lyrics in the blues song "Hang It On
The Wall," by Charlie Parker:

Justshakeityoucanbreakityoucanhangitonthewall
HollerwhenIcatchit'foreitfall
    youcanbreakityoucanhangitonthewall
HollerwhenIcatchit'foreitfall

    Sweet jelly

 MY ROLL

Sweet mama, won't you let it fall

I AIN'T GOT NO BODY NOW

In: Eric Sackheim, 1975. The Blues Line: A Collection of Blues lyrics from
Leadbelly to Muddy Waters. Page 198.

Cf. also my item "Sexual Terms and Metaphors in the Blues, part 1,"
In Studies in Slang, part V (= Forum Anglicum, vol. 22), Frankfurt
a.M.: Peter Lang, 1997.  Pp. 73-126. (Charlie Parker's 'Hang It On
The Wall' is mentioned on page 95).

Gerald Cohen