"You want punched out?"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 26 02:11:28 UTC 2011

I'm positioning this at the top of the thread, but I'm responding to
comments farther down as well.  As an Inland Northern speaker, I have
"needs washing."  I can manage "wants washing," but it feels British.
What I'm wondering is if the present participle here might be a relic
from the use of progressive as passive in Early Modern English and up
into the 19th c.  "My house is painting" instead of "my house is being
painted, which is an early 19th c. development.  "Needs/wants washed"
reflects the extension of the BE passive.  I don't know, though, if
there is evidence to support this conjecture.

Herb