"bone in her teeth"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat May 28 18:12:47 UTC 2011

Insufficient imagination on my part.  "Bone in her mouth" indeed also
is in the OED, dated 1627, with its only other quotation
1851.  "Bone, n.", sense 14.b.  I can only claim absence from the OED
for the "teeth" variant.

(GBooks shows a few quotations for "in her mouth" between 1660 and
1768, in the long-ignored long 18th century, which I searched from
1627 to 1820.)

Joel