"slut" in the news

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 29 18:35:51 UTC 2011

At 12:07 PM -0400 5/29/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>"Slut" may be insulting, but it quit being "sexist" long ago:
>
>1989 _Life_ (July) 29: "We talk about guys being sluts too," says one girl.
>
>1995 _Jerry Springer Show_ (synd. TV series): He's really pathetic. He's the
>biggest slut I know.
>
>GB disgorges more than fifty exx. of the phrase "He's a slut."  The Web,
>32,000.
>JL

I suspect the earliest uses of male-directed "slut" were from gay
usage.  I'd check the Rodgers lexicon but I don't have it on me.

Also back in the early 90s, Pam Munro's UCLA Slang Dictionary 3
included a sex-neutral entry for _slut_ (something like 'sexually
promiscuous person') but a listing for _skank_ reading 'female slut'.
No entry for 'male slut'.

LH