A variation on the shaving cream song

Mon May 30 17:19:57 UTC 2011

At 11:29 AM -0400 5/30/11, GAT typed:
"If there is another station in th country on which oe can here, withing an
hour. . . "

At 1:19 PM, he's embarrassed.

As for WHVW, I recommend it to David Barnhart's attention, particularly, if
he has a taste for Enrico and the Skillet Lickers.  950 am.
And to the attention of any of you who live or may someday travel within 30
or 40 miles of Poughkeepsie.

GAT

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>wrote:

> At 11:29 AM -0400 5/30/11, George Thompson wrote:
>
>> I have the very good fortune to live within broadcast range (just barely)
>> of
>> WHVW, a  very low-powered Poughkeepsie radio  station specializing in
>> music
>> recorded before the mid 1950s.  If there is another station in th country
>> on
>> which oe can here, withing an hour, recordings by Marion Harris, Eddie
>> Cantor, Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers, Louis Armstrong, Bert Williams
>> and Enrico Caruso, let me know and I will consider moving there.
>>

> Does sound quite eclectic!
>

>> Several weeks ago I heard a record called "Sweet Violets #3", recorded by
>> the "Sweet Violets Boys", probably in the late 1930s.  It seems that this
>> was a name used by a group called "the Prairie Ramblers" when recording
>> songs with indelicate lyrics.  The owner of the station is a collector of
>> 78
>> rpm records -- "Sweet Violets #3" seemed to have been a new acquisition,
>> and
>> he commented with surprise that there must have been a Sweet Violets #1 &
>> #2.
>>
>> None of these are on the net yet, but I do find the following:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1sfCnx1z-Q
>>
>>  Nice recording; love the minimalist video too.
>
> LH

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.
Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.