Rumsfeld redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 1 13:11:10 UTC 2011

I first heard of "unknown unknowns" in the early 1980s. It was said to
be engineering lingo, IIRC.

Twice in recent months I've read comments by philosophers rightly
defending R's epistemology.

Part of his problem is that he's an easy target otherwise, and the
concept of "unknown unknown" can seem at first blush either tricky or
redundant.

Maybe the most dramatic unknown unknown in recent tiems was the
propensity of cattle feed to cause mad-cow disease in both cattle and
humans. Since the responsible prion was (virtually?) unknown, there no
earthly reason to expect the unknowable result of its presence in
feed.

An "unknown unknown" is basically an unknown that nobody's even thought of yet.

JL