"Yesterday is history..."

Tue Nov 1 20:58:14 UTC 2011

Barry Popik wrote an entry about this saying that is dated June 20,
2009. He updated it today with Jon Lighter's excellent information.

Here is a link to Barry's entry: http://goo.gl/dTghB

Here is a weak but popular precursor.

A poem that was published in a periodical dated November 9, 1901
included verses that shared a theme and some words. However mention of
the past was absent. These verses were quite popular and were
reprinted many times. But the surrounding poem varied substantially.
Our paper: Volume 17 - Page 717
Massachusetts Reformatory (Concord, Mass.)

[Begin excerpt]
We live but in the present,
The future is unknown;
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is all our own.
[End excerpt]

Here is another weak precursor.
1909, Wisconsin Baptist anniversaries - Page 80

[Begin excerpt]
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is prophesy.
[End except]

Here is stronger precursor: Unverified item in Google Books with a GB
date of 1942. Date probes show snippets for 1941 and 1942 that are
consistent with the 1942 date. The wordplay of gift-present is absent.

1942, Canada lumberman: Volume 62
[Begin extract]
Speaking of the future I can't do better than say Yesterday may be
History, Tomorrow is Mystery and Today is our Golden Opportunity!
[End extract]

Here is an unverified item in Google Books with a GB date of 1944.
There is a 1944 edition held at Duke. Most libraries have a 1978
edition. A probe with 1944 shows a copyright notice of 1944.

1944, The long house of the Iroquois
Spencer Lionel Adams
http://books.google.com/books?id=hYEGAQAAIAAJ&q=%22but+history%22#search_anchor

[Begin extract]
Once in recalling this thought gleaned from a magazine article: "I am
not afraid of tomorrow, for I have known yesterday, and I have today,"
I devised from such a sentiment this worded-plate for the sun-dial:
"Yesterday, but history; Tomorrow, only mystery; Today, golden hours
set between!"
[End extract]

Apparently the modern expression evolved over decades.