Turing test (UNCLASSIFIED)

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 2 18:07:11 UTC 2011

you have us, doofus.

________________________________
From: Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: Turing test (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Bill Mullins wrote:
> The Turing test is a situation where a person communicates back a forth
> with what may be a person, or it may be a computer.  If the person can't
> reliably distinguish the computer from the person, based on the content
> of the messages sent back from the computer/person, then the computer
> passes the test -- it is "artificially intelligent."
>
> In a response to a comment on a Language Log post
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1701
>
> Geoff Numberg said
> "Which only goes to show that the Turing test can work both ways: do
> something dumb enough, and it's hard to tell you from a machine."

Here is another twist. The annual Loebner Prize competition attempts
to implement the Turing test as part of a contest. Awards are given to
the most human-like chatterbots selected by human judges. The excerpt
below is about a program that was entered into the competition several
years ago. A strategy employed in order to appear human is described:

http://www.javamonkey.com/resume/turing.html

[Begin excerpt]
The programmer even programmed "Whimsical" to make typing errors such
as typing the wrong letter and then backing up to correct it, all of
which was shown on the judges terminals which received each message
keystroke by keystroke. Several programs tried this tactic to add a
bit of a human touch but some were more successful than others -- one
program made a typo, backed up to fix it, and then typed the
correction ten times faster than any human could.
[End excerpt]

If you wish to be considered human you must do something sufficiently
dumb to qualify.

Bill Mullins message continued: