more on early "jeeps"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 4 21:18:28 UTC 2011

"Recruit":

1941 _N. Y. Times_ (Apr. 11) 20 [ProQuest]: From the pages of an
esteemed contemporary we learn that the young soldiers in the training
camps call themselves and are called Jeeps. ...One feels for a Jeep an
affection which cannot be won by a trainee or a draftee. It is the
same feeling that a person has for a puppy, to which Jeep has a strong
phonetic resemblance [sic]. ...Is there something in the spirit of the
times that turns the slang-maker's mind to the J sound? [Etc., etc.]

1941 _N.Y. Times Sunday Magazine_ (May 25)   11: Jeeps turned loose on
one-night passes or on long week-ends have no place to go. ...He may
even read, but jeeps keep telling you that camp life, somnehow, takes
the edge off your taste for books.

The "esteemed contemporary" was undoubtedly H. I. Philips, whose
humorous _The Private Papers of Private Purkey_ [sic: he's perky!]
(N.Y.: Harper, 1941),  employs the word. I haven't seen a copy of this
book, but it was popular enough to spawn two sequels.

Acc. to the L. of C. _Catalog of Copyright Entries, Philips's tales
were originally serialized in the _N.Y. Sun_, Feb. 3 - May 30, 1941.
Whether _jeep_ appeared there before the 4x4 car was publicized as a
"jeep" later in February, I don't know.

JL