Engineering amazing

Sat Nov 5 23:13:51 UTC 2011

A series of excellent finds that also demonstrate that the being-deletion theory doesn't hold.

The effect seems to be giving the active feeling of an adjective while using nouns.

One interesting property most of these examples seem to share is that the noun forms are unwieldy, such as requiring a -ness suffix. One token has the property that the noun form does not adequately express the meaning that the adjective does.

Going backward through the list:

crazy - craziness
interesting - interest doesn't express the meaning of interesting, leaving interestingness which is even worse
ordinary - actually, this is a noun; however, this example feels like it fits in this category
tired - tiredness
rich - richness doesn't cut it
big - bigness doesn't cut it
original - originality is an exception as it has a cachet and is a regular-sounding form
fresh - freshness
smart - smartness doesn't cut it
amazing - amazingness

Benjamin Barrett