"belie": another reversal?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 6 02:00:16 UTC 2011

Jon, do senses 1, 3.b, 5, and even 6 of "belie" (v.2) have the
reversed meaning you bemoan?  They seem like they might allow
something to "belie history" -- "assertions of cynicism's demise"
tell a lie to history; misrepresent history, are at variance with
history; deny the truthfulness of history; reject the truth of
history, are faithless to history.

On the other hand, I too would rather have said "history belies
assertions of cynicism's demise" -- which I think fits sense 7, show
to be false, prove false or mistaken.

Is "belie" as ambidextrous as I read the definitions?

(However, I am skeptical that history can belie the death of
anything.  History is the past; cynicism may have died recently.)

Joel