"fish" (was Re: "moist")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 8 14:50:37 UTC 2011

On Nov 8, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I've never encountered "fish" as a synonym for "woman" in  general
> use of any kind. And as a collective noun for "women," only in the
> HDAS exx.
>
> Just how common are these terms?
>

> JL

One more datum I meant to cite is the admittedly non-metonymic use of "fish" in blues songs like Blind Boy Fuller's (1938) "What's that smells like fish?", elsewhere posed as "What's that smells like fish, pretty mama?", a rhetorical question later picked up in my own era by, yes, Hot Tuna. (In one era, out the other.)  Granted, there's a major leap from such references to the general use we're discussing.

LH