quote from Warren Buffet (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Nov 8 19:11:37 UTC 2011

Bill Mullins wrote
> Heard on Marketplace radio on the way to work this morning, attributed
> to Warren Buffet:
>
> "You never know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out."

It is a nice quote and I was able to push it back to an AP article on
June 21, 1988 in the Free Lance-Star. But Barry Popik had already done
this. He found the AP article in Advocate of Victoria, Texas. As Bill
discovered, the speaker was Robert Clarke:

Google News Archive
21 June 1988, Victoria (TX) Advocate, “Comptroller Says Some Banks Can
Rebound Easier,” pg. 12B, col. 5:
“In other words, when the economic tide goes out, you find out who is
swimming naked,” Clarke told the Stonier graduates.
(Comptroller of the Currency Robert L. Clarke --ed.)

http://goo.gl/KjwJz

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/when_the_economic_tide_goes_out_you_find_out_who_is_swimming_naked_warren_b/

Continuing Bill Mullins message: