Alphabetizing

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 22:13:38 UTC 2011

Although I agree that this may be a "deep thought" question where a
teacher may be "forcing" students to come up with their own rigid rules,
I disagree, in principle, that divining teacher's intent is a good idea.
If the teacher was not specific enough to state the rule or the
expectations, the response should reflect that. With this in mind, I
propose two plausible solutions.

1) Brute force, "what's a typewriter?" rule:

Enter all words into a word processing document or a spreadsheet (the
latter might be easier for most people) and run a "sort" routine on the
entries. Print out the results and list the parameters with specificity
(type of program, specific command, etc.).

2) Use Google Translate to translate each word into a language that does
not differentiate based on capitalization or punctuation--preferably,
all words and phrases should translate into single words (Turkish is a
good language for that, but then you have to deal with Turkish
alphabetization, which is a different can of worms). Then sort the words
according to the alphabet of that language. Present the results and
specify the procedure.

If nothing else, this will guarantee that the teacher will never ask the
same question again.

     VS-)