Coach Paterno and the syntactic blind alley

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 10 18:11:33 UTC 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> The one that always troubled me is the negation of "used to"--if you
> ever want to say

or more exactly write (see below)

> that at all while preserving semantic clarity. I recall
> finding some usage guides postulating "didn't used to", which is just as
> satisfying as not having an answer.
>
>    VS-)

Oh right, I'd forgotten that one, which only is a problem in writing--"didn't useta" is as easy to say as "useta", but impossible to spell.  An orthographic gap!

LH